choke orientation

the thermionic watercooler

choke orientation

Postby nyazzip » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm

....does it matter? meaning, the physical orientation/plane(s)/angles/which side of chassis?
i got a nice choke with end bells today; i'd like to have it sit on top of the chassis if that works
nyazzip
KT88

Re: choke orientation

Postby Geek » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:33 pm

The magnetic rubbish from the choke will be mainly inline with the "E" lams and can induce into an input transformer or SE OPT.

If possible, I like mounting chokes under the power tranny at a 45 degree angle (using the corner screws on the power tranny to mount the choke) for lowest noise.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 pm

right, so as far away from the OPT as possible, and at 45 degrees...
...doubtful thats gonna happen, unfortunately. it is a tall hunk of iron(97mm). good to know though, if i have hum then i will have to go there
cheers
nyazzip
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:29 pm

so below is how i have been running my "RH84-esque" for the past year, with no choke....just wondering, can i temporarily clip in the new choke on either side of the resistor, just to check it out, or would that be detrimental...?
edit: departures from the original schematic are notated with the green dot

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii22 ... 27ab09.jpg

nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix! :))

You'll want to clip a resistor end or the benefit of the choke will be made moot by the resistor swamping it.

- Solder in choke across the resistor.
- Clip one resistor lead.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:38 pm

that shows you what my level of understanding of electrical path is: zero.
anyway, i can't say i notice a huge difference right off the bat. i definitely noticed an increase in bass when i clipped in the new OPT, but the choke addition isn't exactly dramatic. probably doesn't help that it is connected with 22ga clip lead wires!
(lol)
no matter; i intend to add a 5u4 or 5y3 rectifier, and play around with a larger output tube...maybe a 6l6, a 6v6, el34, or a 6av5, all of which i have laying around
cheers
nyazzip
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:24 pm

ok last comment then i'll shut up
for the first half hour i was thinking it now sounded strident and i could detect distortion, which i was attributing to my poor FM reception...i finally realized i had turned the line AC down last nite to about 100-105vac....
so, its sounding better now. definitely more "scooped" sounding, maybe even too much...a bit sterile. maybe i'm just a low-fidelity kind of guy. :))
there are a couple 50+ year old caps in there as well; that should be remedied as soon as my backordered stuff comes in...
nyazzip
KT88

Return to diy hifi