Pix Fix (more experiments)

the thermionic watercooler

Pix Fix (more experiments)

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:04 am

I hated the scrollbars on the attachments, and just had time to do the required forum mods on a quiet morning here (after having fixed a faulty hose line to a pressure sensor on the furnace - Brrrrrr!). Let me know if it seems solid and on the mark.

Shannon
Attachments
IMG_9549.JPG
IMG_9546.JPG
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: Pix Fix

Postby 20to20 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 am

separks wrote:I hated the scrollbars on the attachments,
Let me know if it seems solid and on the mark.

Shannon

Shannon,

I've often thought a photo posting sticky guide would be a good idea. Since cameras can take huge photos and create equally huge files by default, a few tips about resizing and setting compression quality would go a long way toward making some threads load faster. We all don't have a 10MB connection out here. :'( :'(

Your photo shows as a 640x480, truncated a bit in a black box, and set in a larger white area, and takes about 12 seconds to load on my DSL Lite connection.

Can you adjust the size of default display area? Maybe 800x600. That seems to be the @ size of the unused white area I see.

If you add a photo posting guide I think it should give the largest "unzoomed" size parameter to fit the default window, to be used for most cases where superfine detail is not needed, and suggest when saving a JPG to set the compression quality to something like 85%. And if it's a B/W schematic or pencil drawing it could be saved as a 4 bit file. I'm sure these tips would also help reduce your hosting storage and serving costs. If it matters...

Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:39 am

separks wrote:I hated the scrollbars on the attachments,
Let me know if it seems solid and on the mark.

Shannon

I really like it.

20 wrote:
Shannon,

I've often thought a photo posting sticky guide would be a good idea. Since cameras can take huge photos and create equally huge files by default, a few tips about resizing and setting compression quality would go a long way toward making some threads load faster. We all don't have a 10MB connection out here. :'( :'(

Your photo shows as a 640x480, truncated a bit in a black box, and set in a larger white area, and takes about 12 seconds to load on my DSL Lite connection.

Can you adjust the size of default display area? Maybe 800x600. That seems to be the @ size of the unused white area I see.

If you add a photo posting guide I think it should give the largest "unzoomed" size parameter to fit the default window, to be used for most cases where superfine detail is not needed, and suggest when saving a JPG to set the compression quality to something like 85%. And if it's a B/W schematic or pencil drawing it could be saved as a 4 bit file. I'm sure these tips would also help reduce your hosting storage and serving costs. If it matters...

+1 to the guide
+1 to 800X600

It poped up quick for me, I have a 1m dsl connection. The picture shows as 640 X 480, but it's 1.8MB, the same file size as the full version.

I usually use gifs in schematics, because they keep the detail and are small, but now gifs get cut off.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Changed to 800x600. This also should retroactively fix all the old attachments like your schematics. Guidelines a work in progress. It looks like I have a 500kB limit on uploads, but obviously my Admin status must've bucked that limit for this pic (or it doesn't work).

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby 20to20 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 pm

separks wrote:Changed to 800x600. This also should retroactively fix all the old attachments like your schematics. Guidelines a work in progress. It looks like I have a 500kB limit on uploads, but obviously my Admin status must've bucked that limit for this pic (or it doesn't work).

Shannon

The 800x600 seems to be working well with old posts. When I did an attributes check on a few I saw that "autoscaling" was in use and was working fine. I don't know if that is done on your server on in my browser. The white box background did not appear on any of those pix. However, it is still behind your test post pix. Maybe it is because it is so big, and your or my autoscaling can't handle it right, or your admin privilages affect it. But I think the changes are good for all the old posts. (y) (y) Thanks!

20to20
KT88

Postby 20to20 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm

PixFixPix.jpg
PixFixPix.jpg (92.66 KiB) Viewed 3541 times

Here's what I get for that.
20to20
KT88

Re: Pix Fix (more experiments)

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 am

Ok - I had added a image resizing mod but now have found the stock board image controls. The resizing mod just resized images locally using Javascript, so the download times weren't improved. That makes it a nonstarter really. This stock image control with true thumbnails should speed up the page load.

Guidelines:
-Thumbnails will be 800 pixels wide
-Seven attachments allowed per post
-1MB max file size (256kB in private messages)

Let me know if the goofy black and white background shows up. I couldn't find anything so we may be stuck with it. Hopefully it is a bug of the other image mod that I've disabled.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby 20to20 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:11 am

separks wrote:Ok - I had added a image resizing mod but had now have found the stock board image controls. The resizing mod just resized images locally using Javascript, so the download times weren't improved. That makes it a nonstarter really. This stock image control with true thumbnails should speed up the page load.

Guidelines:
-Thumbnails will be 800 pixels wide
-Seven attachments allowed per post
-1MB max file size (256kB in private messages)

Let me know if the goofy black and white background shows up. I couldn't find anything so we may be stuck with it. Hopefully it is a bug of the other image mod that I've disabled.

Shannon

Looks like all the scroll bars are back for everything over 800x600 in any one dimension. Your test pix above show 800x600 exactly now with no scaling of the original. I'm assuming you just rescaled and reposted them. Everything loads quickly though. The white background is no problem. Haven't a clue why it dissappeared yesterday for everything in old posts, even things with a dimension over 800 or 600, but stayed with your test pix.

EDIT: I did an attributes check on your pix above and my browser says they are 800x600, but they are obviously the original size when clicked on. But the photo I posted is in scroll bars and reports the true size in its attributes, but has been rescaled. Don't know why the two photos would get different treatment unless a processing step occurs upon the upload and old photos won't have those correct thumbnail size files to put into the page, so they get scroll bars instead.
20to20
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 am

The new pix fix doesn't go retroactive (unlike the resize mod) as the thumbnails are created upon initial attachment upload.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:05 am

Aaaaannnnnd I switched back to the other image resizer. I'll play around with this over the holidays.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to diy hifi