hookup wire recommendation

the thermionic watercooler

hookup wire recommendation

Postby skidave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations on hookup wire. I need to order a few things from Mouser and my eyes and brain have begun to glaze over the wire info. I'm looking for a few rolls of 20 or 22 AWG with decent insulation (Teflon type or other) for project work. I'm sick of stripping wires out of multi-conductor pieces for what I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Here is where I ended and began to tune out... http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/1276.pdf

Dave
skidave

Re: hookup wire recommendation

Postby mesherm » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Personally I like the cloth covered single conductor wire available at a lot of tube places. You have to be more careful not to nick the wire but it bends and stays put nicely. The 22 guage silver plated teflon stranded wire you can find on ebay and other places is probably most people's favorite though. You need a quality wire stripper for teflon or a deft hand with a razor blade. The silver coated wire solders like a dream and the teflon won't melt or shrink back.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:20 pm

The 22 guage silver plated teflon stranded wire you can find on ebay and other places is probably most people's favorite though. You need a quality wire stripper for teflon or a deft hand with a razor blade.

i love teflon stranded wire.
to deal with it, just grip the wire with pair of pliers in one hand, and use regular old strippers as normal, in the other hand. works like a charm
nyazzip
KT88

Postby skidave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks guys. I did a quick search on eBay and selection is good and pricing seems reasonable-even shipping.

Much appreciated!

Dave
skidave

Return to diy hifi