rh84 build/design questions

the thermionic watercooler

Postby Alex Kitic » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:52 pm

separks wrote:
Alex Kitic wrote:Unlike you, I have a "regular" job, a family, children, friends, a hobby, a daily schedule. I need the day to last more than 24 hours, while you probably do not know what else could you do or invent in order to squander time.

Alex, are these types of baseless, personal attacks why you requested to be banned from the other site? I'm happy to ban you without such a request. Please cut this crap out, and stick to tubes.

Shannon

1) Where were you when he called me a jackass (not to mention other adjectives that are not direct insults as most do not know what those words mean? What about historic figures and facts mentioned in insulting manner?
2) Is there any need to react as you did, threathening? I have not used any bad mouthed word, and unfortunately all I wrote is supposedly true (check for yourself, if you know where).
3) I have already stated that I do not intend to continue a pointless discussion with someone who is biased and stubbornly subjective, therefore your intervention is already too late.

I suggest you to read the thread carefully before jumping to conclusions. Anyway the actions are up to you, just like the consequences. Everyone should be resposible for his deeds.
Alex Kitic

Postby jollyrogr » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Alex - I think I will probably build the amp per the schematic, however I will add a volume pot, power switch, and a 200mA PT. Maybe I really could get by with less, but since I have to order one and wait a month for Edcor to make it anyway, might as well make sure it's plenty big enough since the price difference is minimal. I also might try a dual choke filter using lower inductance chokes, but I haven't decided. PSUD is showing me that I should be able to get good filtering this way. In my original post I was asking what values one would use for the chokes and caps in this configuration. Since I've learned about PSUD, I can model using different values and decide from there what to use. Although I can't seem to model it with the .47uf shunt cap on the end, and I'm not sure what effect that component has on the circuit. In the end, I may just build as drawn, since like you said many have done so and had good results. I only hope someday I've learned enough that I can make my own designs
jollyrogr

Postby DeathRex » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 pm

You'll learn alot building your amp jollyrogr. Wait for all the parts to come in before drilling holes. Look for Tom's posts on building. The 0.47uf cap is for high frequency noise. They say if you have a electrolytic filter cap of like 47uf you should also have a high frequency bypass cap of 100th the value, or 0.47uf. Alot of engineers put the high frequency bypass caps on every cap in the power supply. They say that bigger electrolytic caps have a hard time passing HF, VHF and on up.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby kheper » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:55 pm

(A)
Alex Kitic wrote:When I mentioned 45mA current per channel, I was referring to the combined current draw of the EL84 and the driver. I estimate the driver at 3mA and the output tube at 42mA. When I say estimate, you have to take into account that I designed it more than a decade ago and I have not reviewed the simulation for a long time, particularly not reviewed the current draws.

(-A)
Therefore, when I say 45mA per channel, I know what I am saying. You never built one

Which is it? (A) "45ma" is an "estimate" that we all "have to take into account that I designed it more than a decade ago." Or, (-A) "when I say 45mA per channel, I know what I am saying."

A and -A cannot be true together. Either the amp draws more than 45ma per channel or it draws exactly 45ma per channel.

You never built one

I never grew an artichoke, but I know better than to plant one in a toxic waste site.

It is absolutely pointless discussing whether it is a few mA more or less (and imagine how stupid I feel when I think of having discussed my own design with a person who has never designed anything, but seems to know everything there is about the world around us...) in a world where a transformer with 2x 18.9VA secondaries (total LT 37.8VA) and 2x 50.6VA secondaries (total HT 101.2VA) totalling 139VA is wound on a core which is actually defined as 100VA core (we are already 39% above the rating), and the text markets it as capable of at least a further 20% rating (which probably should mean that other transformers are wound along even lower standards)... which brings us to approximately 167VA (on a 100VA core) -- in the meantime, I order a custom transformer of 135VA to be wound, where the manufacturer chooses for me a 150VA core and hints me that I might be even more pleased with a larger core and calculation for heavy duty standard, as that is definitely not going to buzz... hahaha!

The RH84 needs approx. 90mA of current to operate normally. If we presume a CT HT secondary and a choke input, the necessary I AC of the secondary should be more than 0.09 / 1.54 = 0.0584 A. Therefore, 100mA AC current must be enough...

For cap input, same condition, 0.09*1 = 0.09 A, thus 100mA AC current must be enough.

This has nothing to do with transformer manufacturers and the supposedly latent current increase of their transformers. It has to do with you advising other human beings to construct an amp with a power supply which has a DC current capacity of 90ma, 100ma, 140ma or 86ma - three of which are incapable of running this amp correctly. I gave the math that a FW supply requires an AC current rating of 1.2 times its required DC current draw.

When people lack rational arguments, ad hominem attacks and self-appeals to authority are always available.
kheper
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:38 am

Alex was banned. Civility and humility are a couple of key traits that I require in these forums, else it just isn't fun anymore.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby roren » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:06 pm

i'm sorry to hear that. His ideas is obviously interesting.

Rolf
roren

Postby DeathRex » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 pm

I do believe he visits audiokarma.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby roren » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 am

DeathRex wrote:I do believe he visits audiokarma.

OK, thanks for telling me.
roren

Re:

Postby Vermeero » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 am

roren wrote:i'm sorry to hear that. His ideas is obviously interesting.

Rolf

I too think his ideas are interesting and very original. He can't share them on Diytube anymore... but we can still read kheper's new ideas I guess. Perhaps Alex has a different understanding of what is relevant in amplifier design but he sure is an amplifier designer at heart! I believe his schematics are very good, the sound and performace of his RH84 is amazing.
Vermeero

Re: rh84 build/design questions

Postby Geek » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:14 am

*pops head in thread for first time in ages*

I thought this was diyAudio for a minute :o)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Previous

Return to diy hifi