DC Filaments? Cleaning up AC

the thermionic watercooler

DC Filaments? Cleaning up AC

Postby coop402 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

I am just about to build a JE Labs EL34.
(Thanks Tom for putting the schematic up).

I have always done this on filament voltage:
We have a really good surplus store in Dallas call Tanner. Typically I buy a really good bridge rectifier for less than a buck, then I take an appropriately rated 6v regulator and mount them to the aluminum case, or add a heatsink. Then I put a large enough electrolytic cap in the circuit so that I can prettly much see a straight line on my scope at 6 volts. I end up with less than 5 bucks in the whole mess, and I feel happy that I have possibly eliminated some noise. I know that with a little more effort, I could have my 6v output at 6.3 volts, but it is well within 10%.

Soooooo. Am I wasting my time? the JE Labs EL34 schematic is clearly just AC right from the transformer.

Also, it is interesting to me that when I build a well known schematic, then take a look at the B+ voltage there is still quite a bit of sawtooth (sine) in that wave.

How good is good enough when dealing with these scenarios.

Can you make a tube amp sound anemic by filtering too much?
coop402

Postby battradio » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Dc filaments never hurt anything in my book . I just rebuilt a ST 70 using DC filament for the front end tubes .

For EL34's a Low forward drop diodes instead of a common bridge rectier would be best and a low drop out regulator to get rid of all the ripple and noise .

There is no thing as to much filter capaitance , except just after the recifier tube and when the fuse blows every time you turn it it on , every other time is ok but not every time . ;)
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby coop402 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks!

It cracks me up. I can take a tube amp that sounds just fine, then look at the B+ on my scope and cry a little inside. Cleaner DC makes the most sense, but I guess there were many beautiful classic designs that sounded great and did not look all that good on the scope......
coop402

Return to diy hifi