JE Labs 300B monoblocks Part I

the thermionic watercooler

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:31 pm

ok fully understand a great way of keeping my money is to walk away from this as a hobby and pick up dust collection as my new hobby but dust isnt shiny and dangerous at the same time!

Erick,
I was going to suggest this, but you said it first. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 As for dust collection, I know a handful of scientists from Livermore at San Francisco airport that collect (or filter) dust in large volumes to do mass spectrometry analysis for defense against anthrax threats in real time. They do this for living though.

As far as cheaper alternatives for caps, I like Solen Fast Caps that are non-electrolytic. They are good quality caps at 1/5 the size of oil cans. However, they are not that much cheaper than Angela's. I like them for their compactness. I am using them in my JE Labs 2A3 with a good result. The only problem for you is c'est francais.

Other than that, you can always use modern electrolytic caps. They still are an excellent alternative. They are small, robust, and not as messy.

If I were to spend money on caps, I would invest in coupling caps like Auricaps, Hovland, or hi-end PIO caps. I feel that's where you would most likely see the difference, beside bypass caps.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby 77seriesIII » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Min,
Thanks

pas un probl?me c'est francais.

Solen sounds interesting, havent looked into them yet and the size does sound promising. Do you know a good source? I'm looking at M. Percy Audio catalog and he does sell Solen/Axon and I do like the fact they do not have to sit above. Poly pro and tin foil are the fabrication materials, non-electrolytic correct? The voltages are close but not exactly as stated w/in the schematic if it is say 50-100v higher on the cap versus the schematic, how much of a problem is that? I am looking at 50µf/600v cap in the CLC and am having a hell of a time finding this one in a non-angela aspect.

Off to the rack, time to stop staring at a computer screen and do something productive...;-)
77seriesIII

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Erick,
I get mine from Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe, Az. Their website is www.tubesandmore.com. I thought Solens were ubiqutous, but guess not.

Poly pro and tin foil are the fabrication materials, non-electrolytic correct?

Probably, if there is no polarity written on it.

The voltages are close but not exactly as stated w/in the schematic if it is say 50-100v higher on the cap versus the schematic, how much of a problem is that?

The schematic calls for 15uF/600 - choke - 50uF/518 - 3.3k - 30uF/518. I don't think exact voltage is so critical so long as it meets the minimum requirement. You could probably even get away with a little higher capacitance after the 15uF/600VDC cap. You need to keep the capacitance low after the rectifier tube though.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby 77seriesIII » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Min, et al,

Ok time to show my ignorance. The signal path for the 300b build here which is it? the caps that produce the B+ or the or the caps in the 300B and preamp tubes?

/e
77seriesIII

Previous

Return to diy hifi