S5 Amplifier Kits

the thermionic watercooler

Re: S5 Amplifier Kits

Postby chrx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Let me add that the rest of the K-501 kit I built is otherwise all standard, supplied parts. The orange drop caps are the only change.

Thanks again,
chrx
chrx

Re: Nice! and easily upgradeable, too...

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:56 am

chrx wrote:
use some WIMA box caps, IIRC, the 0.15 uF/400V red "box" caps

I am a newbie and have just completed a K-501 mono amp (mono version of the K-502) - my first project of this kind. I installed .22uf orange drops in place of the original .22uf caps in the kit. What difference can one expect in going to a .15uf, from a .22uf, in this case?

Thank you,
chrx

Not much and no problem. Going with larger coupling caps in an amp tuned with global feedback, like the K501, can actually screw up the low frequency stability. But slightly small will even improve low frequency stability. And since we have feedback the low frequency cut-off is probably 15Hz or less anyway, so you haven't hurt your bandwidth really.

As far as more subjective sound - Wima vs Sprague - I've used both and like them both. Should be similar performance I think.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: Nice! and easily upgradeable, too...

Postby chrx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:31 am

Shannon Parks wrote:
chrx wrote:
use some WIMA box caps, IIRC, the 0.15 uF/400V red "box" caps

As far as more subjective sound - Wima vs Sprague - I've used both and like them both. Should be similar performance I think.

Shannon

Thank you for the input Shannon.
I have a fairly compact layout for this K-501, so having the smaller Wima caps in there will help what I am trying to do. Thus, the Wimas will get swapped-in.
I will post a photo of the finished setup, once I have the wood base completed.
Thank you again,
Chris Ouellette
chrx

Previous

Return to diy hifi