Mark III Poseidon Boards with Classic Valve PS Boards

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Mark III Poseidon Boards with Classic Valve PS Boards

Postby Too much stuff! » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of assembling Poseidon Mark II/III Boards and Classic Valve Design PS Boards for my Mk2 amps. I would like to use Gregg's bias/balance system on the power supply board, so am wondering what I need to do with the Poseidon board pot and on-chassis bias pot. I then want to use the chassis pot hole to mount a pentode/triode mode switch. I did a Google search and couldn't find any reference to this combo, but if it has been covered please pass on the link or search term.
Thanks,

Tom
Too much stuff!

Re: Mark III Poseidon Boards with Classic Valve PS Boards

Postby Geek » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi,

Actually, if you use the Poseiden's balance control, so all you would need is the bias portions of my PSU board. That way there's no need to cut traces on Shannon's board for the on-PSU-board balance control.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Too much stuff! » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks Gregg! So let me make sure I have this correct:

-Connect H from the Poseidon to the centre connection of CN3
-Connect G from the Poseidon to Bias Output #1 connection of CN2
-Connect F from the Poseidon to Bias Output #2 connection of CN2
-install the unused trimmer (RV1) on the PS board, but leave in the centre position
Thanks,

Tom
Too much stuff!

Postby Geek » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi,

No, that will destroy your amp =:o

On my board:

- Leave out RV2 and R16.
- Jumper R14 and R15.

Connecting:

- Run either side of CN2 to Shannon's Poseidon board "H"

Adjust bias with my board's RV1 and balance with Poseidon's R15

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Too much stuff! » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Geek wrote:Hi,

On my board:

- Leave out RV2 and R16.
- Jumper R14 and R15.

Connecting:

- Run either side of CN2 to Shannon's Poseidon board "H"

Adjust bias with my board's RV1 and balance with Poseidon's R15

Cheers!

Worked like a charm, thanks Gregg!

Finally finished one of the amps today ... and it sounds great right from the start! The amps came to me with new original design driver boards with some nice caps on them, but they didn't sound very good hooked up to my Mirage M-290is speakers. The difference in sound quality is astounding and worth the effort!

I built the Tubezone version of the Poseidon using the 5751/12BH7A combo. Most of the resistors are Dale 1% RN65 Mil Spec metal films*. I have some used EH KT88's and a Sovtek GZ34 with I use for start ups in case of an issue. I ran that for a few hours and it really sounded clear with great range from top to bottom, And it's dead quiet with my CJ11L preamp. Then I put in the Mullard GZ34 and new production gently used (300hrs) Gold Lion KT88's ... and I have to be honest: the EH's sounded better. The GL's sound compressed, rolled off at top and bottom, slightly sibilant, and didn't have the detail that the EH's brought out. But I'll give them some more time to let the new passive parts break in.

*I have a Bruce Moore Audio Design Companion 2B+ preamp and every resistor but two are Dale Mil Spec Metal Films, so don't be afraid to use them in your projects thinking they'll sound like $hit. Bruce Moore has designed some of the greatest sounding tube preamps under names such as Audible Illusions, MFA, etc.
Thanks,

Tom
Too much stuff!

Return to poseidon